Scheiner's - "Let's go to the cemetery for a beer!"
Did you know the cemetery owned a bar?
Scheiners Beer Hall next to BNC greenhouses (now also gone). Probably from the 1940's or early 50's, judging from the appearance of the truck.
In 1878 Matej Karasek sold 40 acres of land to BNC. In 1885 he bought back 10 acres which included the SW corner of what is now Pulaski and Foster. He then sold it to Vaclav Scheiner who began a saloon, Inn, and road house.
In 1917, after the death of his wife, Vaclav sold the land to BNCA and sold the business to Rudolph Bezvoda who leased the building from BNCA.
The business seems to be known as O. Scheiner's Beer Hall although the building has Vaclav Scheiner in stone across the front (Otto is the son of Vaclav).
An early census refers to Scheiner's as an inn and road house with lodgers. The early facility included a bar, restaurant, picnic grounds and a dance pavillion all of which hosted many events for the Czech community.
In 1945 Rudolph Bezvoda, who bought the business from Scheiner, sold the restaurant to Marie and Victor Filip, son-in-law of the cemetery association's secretary. The Filips changed the name to the National Restaurant.
From the beginning, the cost of maintenance had been a continuing concern for the cemetery board members. By 1961 when cemetery patrons complained about restaurant patrons double parking, (nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded) the business was on its way out.
The BNCA board determined to end it "regardless of how painful it might be to those whose emotions, rather than practicality dictated their position".
Victor Filip requested and received an extension of his lease in order to host his daugter's wedding in September 1962. In December 1962 the buildings were demolished.
The records are strangely quiet about the prohibition period of 1919 to 1933. What happened at BNC stayed at BNC?