Flower PowerIn past years when so much was done by hand, BNC had many more employees. Here is a group photo of employees from 1880s. The largest single group were the men who worked in the flower department.
The flowers were not only for the grounds but also for sale in the greenhouse shop. The extensive use required several greenhouses and a section of hotbeds.
Landscaping was done under the superintendant who was the highest paid of the BNC staff.
Special decoration for events was traditional as here for the CSA delegates.
A floral display by Henry Paryzek, superintendant of the Flower Department at BNC, was part of the Czech exhibit at the 1933 Century of Progress world fair in Chicago.
The green houses were eventually removed.