Friends of Bohemian National Cemetery Restoration Project

Friends Homepage      Update on the Restoration

 

In July 2011, Friends of Bohemian National Cemetery began a multi-year fundraising effort for the restoration of the historic interior of the Ceremony Hall in the crematorium/columbarium building. Friends received a matching grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation Cynthia Woods Mitchell Fund for Historic Interiors.    Read the press release...

 

Past Friends Fundraising

Since its beginning in 2004, Friends of Bohemian National Cemetery has endeavored to meet its mission challenge by fundraising for needed cemetery projects.

Grants awarded and Friends fundraising have enabled repair and restoration of the crematorium/columbarium roof.

roof work on the columbarium dome

The art glass windows in the Ceremony Hall were cleaned and restored.

art glass in columbarium exterior of Ceremony Hall windows

 

 

 

The historic water tower was relined and replumbed. The gatehouse bell tower was straightened and reinforced.

bell tower restoration

The cemetery burial registers, begun in 1877, were preserved and rebound in leather.

In 2011 Friends began a campaign to restore the interior decorative art in the Ceremony Hall of the crematorium/columbarium building, with a goal of raising $300,000. The first phase of the restoration, a test section, was completed in 2012.

Since then we have been "overtaken by events".

 

Columbarium

History of the Crematorium/Columbarium

Soon after its founding in 1901, the Bohemian American Cremating Association asked Bohemian National Cemetery to build a crematorium/columbarium.  After more than a decade of discussion, the cemetery agreed, and hired František Randák to design a building to house a cremation facility, meeting halls, and a columbarium.
 
In 1913, construction began on the first Bohemian crematorium in the world.  It was in use by the following year, but the furnishing and decorating wasn't completed until 1919.

Although the first cremation took place in November 1914, major construction of the crematorium/columbarium building was completed in February 1916. It was the first Bohemian crematorium in the world.

Main Chapel

"Let us remember that this building will survive us, that it will stand when those who speak our beautiful Bohemian language are probably fewer in number. And if, by the cessation of immigration and by the complete assimilation of our fourth or fifth generation into an American nation of one single language, the Bohemians should disappear in this country, this building will remain as a permanent monument to their efforts and to their Bohemian characteristics, the most marked feature of which is courage - courage to seek truth and to fight for liberty."
Dr. František Iska, Speaker,
Bohemian Freethinkers of Chicago
1913 cornerstone ceremony

return to top

John Anton Mallin

J.A. Mallin

The showplace of the crematorium/columbarium is the Ceremony Hall, an elegant, circular room capped by a massive dome. In 1918, the cemetery awarded a contract for the artistic decoration of the hall to Moravian-born artist John Anton Mallin (born Johann Malinkowitsch).

Mallin was born in Hlohovec Moravia on April 14, 1883. In 1898 Mallin traveled to Vienna to study at the School of Interior and Decorative Painters Guild. In 1907 Mallin moved to Chicago where he began his own interior decoration business.

When Mallin died in 1973 his services were held at Bohemian Natonal Cemetery. Mallin's cremains are in the columbarium of the building where he left an artistic legacy.

Mallin Niche

Over the course of his career, Mallin decorated banks, theaters, courthouses, homes, more than 100 churches, the facades at Chicago's Riverview Amusement Park, and several rooms in the home of the wealthy businessman John Cuneo in Vernon Park, Illinois. The Cuneo mansion and gardens were opened to the public as the Cuneo Museum.

Mallin redecorated the hall twice, first in 1928, using gold leaf instead of gold paint, and again in 1948, repairing some of his previous decorations and adding new ones.

Mallin decorated the walls of the hall with symbols of fraternal and patriotic associations whose support was integral to the success of the cemetery. The Ceremony Hall provides a unique retrospective commemoration of these historical organizations, some of which still exist today. These paintings are now in need of restoration.

 Fraternal Symbols

 

return to top

The Need for Restoration

Mallin logos Mallin logos

For almost 65 years, little has been done to preserve or restore the decoration of the historic ceremony hall.

It is not just the wall decorations that are showing their age. Standing in the hall, your eyes are drawn up to the magnificent domed ceiling with its intricate design ... dome

but looking closely, you can see here, too, the need for repairs.

dome close up

 

return to top

What You Can Do

 

Join us by becoming a member. Make a donation to the restoration fund, or email us at info@friendsofbnc.org for more information.